Friday, June 12, 2009

I ate what?!?!

For a few years now whenever we have been out and about and knew we wouldn't be home in time for dinner or had to leave as soon as Ross got home from work, we would eat at Costco's food court. It is the least expensive way to feed all of us.

The past couple of days I have been keeping track of everything I have been eating and how much water I drink during the day. Until you write everything down that you take in, you have no idea what you are really eating! Yesterday was my first day doing so and I thought that I worked hard to get enough of the right calories in. However, when you choose to eat healthy it is harder to get the recommended calories in that you need to maintain your weight or when you are active. At the end of the day I only had just over 1400 calories in... what?! I thought I had eaten more than that!!

So I start all over today and as we were out getting necessary supplies for the cinnamon twists, we ate at Costco, something that I personally haven't done in quite a while. I get home to write down what I have ate so far and I look up the info on the jumbo slice of pizza you get. After all, it is only $2 for one slice! How bad could it be?? Just that One slice had almost 1400 calories in it!!! That is a Combo slice. Over 1800 mg of sodium and the daily limit is 2400! Over 45 g of fat and almost 100 mg of cholesterol!! I got in one meal what it took me all day to get yesterday!!

I think I will be packing my own meals from now on to take with us on the road. Smarter.. Maybe not exactly cheaper but in the long run it will be (health wise)! Didn't mean to spoil your taste for Costco's food court. I know that it is probably similar to other Fast Food places, I just rarely ever eat there. There are some healthier choices I am sure. For those that are health conscience it matters. Once in a great while is ok... hmmm... moderation in all things? Think I heard that somewhere... Anyway, will get off my soap box now! Have a great day!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that it is great that you are keeping track of what you eat. Any baked refined foods are going to be high in cals and fats. But, man some days it is great to be able to eat something specail. Making your own lunch will be less expensive too than eatting out. You can make a sandwich and have some salad and probably get just as full if not fuller for the same price. I am not sure but think that it would be close. I love you.

Amber said...

Holy Buckets!!! I can't believe that there is that many calories in one slice of pizza!

Anonymous said...

That was me sorry I did not mean to do that Raelene

Anonymous said...

Lets pretend that there are not that many calories in homemade pizza - ok.

Mom

Anonymous said...

Wow! But doesnt it Taste Good!! Hehe! Awesome Job! We are Proud of you!! Love Your Friends!