Friday, May 6, 2011

This makes everything worth it!

The trials and challenges of being a mother are never ending.  However, I do believe that they are supposed to teach us something... even if it's about ourselves.  I feel that if it were easy all the time and there was nothing to bring us to our knees in prayer, then we wouldn't need to rely on our Heavenly Father as much as we (I) do and I wouldn't have more of an understanding of how to be more like Him and how He feels as a parent.  So I try to make it more of a point on the days that we have some character building days to be thankful that it isn't always easy and there is something to learn from this and to rely more on my Heavenly Father's wisdom and love and support.

The other day, out of the blue I heard my sweet 4 year old Brayden say these profound words.  "I love being a kid.  I love being me.  I love being Brayden and I love you being my Mommy."  I stopped what I was doing and let it all sink in.  I thought to myself...he has more of an understanding of who he is than most people do... even myself... which I am working on and getting much better at and I am so thankful for this.  I didn't have the type of environment like my kids do now when I was growing up.  It makes all the difference being raised in a family that loves you and is kind and supportive and tries to teach what the Savior would have them teach.  That was a day of such feelings of love and gratitude for being a mother!


Then a few days ago Jerry came to a decision all on his own about chosing who your friends are and recognizing those that aren't in line with your morals and standards.  This is such a hard thing, especially for kids but especially for teenagers.  I know, I was there.  He has been friends with a certain boy for years now but recently he recognized that he was bringing him down to his level and it was uncomfortable for him.  Jerry had a discussion with his dad about it and I caught the end of it.  He is still going to be considerate and nice to him but just not hang out with him any more.  His dad told him that he is so much more responsible than most kids his age or even older for most people don't even understand that principle until later in life... some don't ever and is so sad. 

I am grateful to my Heavenly Father for blessing me with the calling of being a Wife and a Mother here on Earth.  Things aren't supposed to be easy, just worth it.  I have 3 wonderful children and I want to be the best Mother I can to them... the kind that My Heavenly Father would be pleased with.  I have much to learn.  But I am willing to take whatever I need to in time to learn what I need to and I know that I am not alone in this, I always have Him to rely on and sweet examples of my family and friends.

1 comment:

Chelsea Stevens said...

Great post Amber... and remember you are a good mother!!!

Chelsea