Sunday, March 22, 2009

I didn't want to hold to these rods....



As we were moving things around in Raelene's room the other day, I found all the hardware and Rods that I had in my back for almost 13 years. I kind of forgot about them until that day.

My dad used to joke around with me saying that I would hang around the "bars" too much. Also, I should be careful about going to a metal scrap yard because the magnet would pick me up. Friends would tease saying " you have it easier when it comes to "holding to the rod" because I had 2, then eventually had 4 in my back!" I have heard so many different jokes about the rods and hardware that I had in me. It was fun to hear them and I never took them wrong.

When I had them removed 5 years ago, the Dr asked me if I wanted to keep them. Of course I did! Then when I got home and friends were over, they saw the 43 pieces that were in me prior to surgery and said "wow, you should open up your own hardware store!" I am so thankful to have them out! But I am thankful for the trials I have had and the blessings of being able to walk because of the surgeries.. I wouldn't trade my experiences for anything!



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a unique post display! At first glance the thought of 'jewlery' comes to mind. Most have no comprehension that the human body could house such hardware. I will long remember the day your 'hardware' was removed. Your post is very meaningful. Love, Mom

The Kelly Variety said...

That makes my back hurt. I would have wanted them too. Amazing the things we can overcome.

Amber said...

Thanks! I feel a lot "lighter" with them out!

Alexis said...

Ouch! Just a lil' secret... I still have my gallstones in a jar somewhere. Certainly not as pretty as some shiny rods and hardware though!