Friday, August 28, 2009

Crowns or Dentures?

I have been so thankful lately that I have hardly seen the dr this year. It has been such a blessing. However, I feel that I have made up for it in dentist bills! One would tend to think that with 2 crowns in the last year and more dental work to be done that I eat a ton of sugar, drink soda or juices or such. That is far from what I do. I brush, don't floss as much as I should though.

Last week in a yearly exam, after they try to get the pictures taken in my ever so small mouth.. The Dentist says... and Just what I want to hear! "I have bad news for you." A tooth in front of the one I had crowned just over a year ago needs a crown and has a large cavity under the big filling that is already there. Then the tooth next to the one I had crowned over a month ago needs a crown. In fact, he says, as you get older most of your teeth will require crowns because of all the large fillings that I have.

When I was 16 I only had 2 mild cavities. Then I get married and get pregnant at 19 and almost all my teeth had cavities. That was before I knew to take calcium supplements...

Now most of my teeth will need to be crowned. That will cost more than an arm and a leg.. about all of them plus maybe some blood??... lol. I was talking to a good friend the other day about this and she said have you ever considered dentures? She said that her father in law was facing the same thing and just went with the wonderful dentures. Then a friend of hers was 35 when they did the same thing. In talking with Ross he said that it is a lot to think about and discuss it with the dentist. Granite, I will be trading one thing for another.. and I am definately not saying that I want them... just a thought. A single crown costs over $800 and insurance never covers very much on them. Multiply that by 10 or more teeth and unfortunately, a crown lasts between 10-15 yrs the dentist says. So every 10 years or so have 10 or more crowns replaced at $800 per tooth.. you get the idea! Can I say that I just don't like the sounds of either option. Maybe everything will be fine and I can get metal teeth... wouldn't that look nice! j/k. It is a lot to think about and I am thankful that I have teeth, even if they aren't great. Will see what he says next week...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You ALWAYS have a positive outlook! You Are Amazing! It doesnt matter what trials we are put through.... he wouldnt give it to us if he knew we couldnt handle them! Thinking and keeping you in our prayers! You are Beautiful! Keep Smiling!
Your Friends!! I love you Amber!

Anonymous said...

You have some big decisions to make! I wonder how they come up with the idea that crowns last 10 years. I have had some twice that long and they aren't bothering me yet (knock knock on wood). There are positives and negatives about every choice you have. Good luck!!!How are you feeling after all your fruit picking?

Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

I forgot to mention how much I like your new header and background.

Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

The new header looks great. Good luck on the decition. We love you.

The Kelly Variety said...

Yikes! I have dreams about this. . I mean nightmares. It would be a tough one. Kids are not good on teeth!

The Kelly Variety said...

Duh, I still have your other camera. I'll bring it tomorrow!