Sunday, June 26, 2011

It's that time of year again

We got an email at the end of last week saying that there were plentiful amounts of strawberries that needed picked and they were only charging $1 a pound for them you pick.  So we loaded up in the van that afternoon and invited our neighbor to follow us there and off we went.  It was a beautiful day.  Wasn't too hot but we should have got there that morning to make it perfect.

We were thankful we got there when we did for he said that the price was going to go up the next day.  Brayden had a blast!  He was so excited to pick strawberries.  I told him that we had to pay for them before we could eat them... was only trying to do what was right so daddy says to him that he could eat some.  Brayden was insisting that he couldn't have even one until we paid for them but daddy said it was ok.   And staying true to what his mom taught him, he didn't eat a single one until we got home!
I only could pick for a few min before I was done but I stood there and cheered my family on.  They ended up picking 18 lbs and Ross had them charge him for 19 because he and the kids ate some.

The next day we spent the afternoon with Ross washing and stemming them and the kids helping in any way they could,  I made 8 pints of strawberry jam and almost 12 half pints of freezer jam and then Ross made his Mom's delicious Mile High Strawberry Pie yesterday.  I was tired and very sore after the day was done on Friday but it was all worth it!  And we've only just begun... I am thankful for the knowledge of canning and storing food.  Even though it is mostly cheaper and easier to buy it in the store, there are so many benefits to being able to do it yourself, although some things I just have to admit that it is better for me to buy than do myself.  I am grateful to have these beautiful jars filled with homemade jam and the rewards of my family enjoying every bite of their bread with the jam that was made with love and service.  It makes me appreciate my grandmother and all who have shared their gifts and service all the more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That all looks so good. We love you

The Murphy