Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Preparing for Christmas


Things have been going well for our family.  Nothing out of the ordinary but fun nonetheless.  Last week we got a call the day before our Ward Christmas party and was asked to participate in a small program.  We were asked to sing and chime Away in a Manger along with 2 other families.  Being the person who hasn't learned how to say no, I was thrilled(ok..willing) to accept.  We had a great time at the party.  It was different than years past.  Instead of dinner they had a dessert bar.  It was wonderful, but still prefer the dinner.  With only a few minutes of practice, we did pretty well considering.  I would have opted to just have the children up there but it was a good experience.  At the close of the party, they handed out handmade mangers with straw and a poem to everyone there.  This way we can celebrate the True meaning of Christmas by serving our Saviour by serving His children.  I still have a hard time feeling ok with putting straw in it but am getting better.  I think it is a wonderful idea to keep Christ in Christmas.  I enjoy doing things for others and teaching my children to do the same.















We placed it right next to our Nativity Scene and we hope to have a soft bed of straw for Jesus to lay in on Christmas morning because we chose to think of others.  I have had so many people do such wonderful, small (yet big to me) things for our family and I want to give back... so I try to look for something everyday that I can help someone, even if it be so simple, to make their day a little brighter, better, easier or feel loved.











I know that some would say that our house is very simply decorated.  I don't have these cute things that I have made or want to make, but someday I will and I will enjoy what I have so far.

I am not stressed over Christmas, I haven't too much planned, yet there are things that I would love to do for my family and others.  I know that God takes care of our needs when we take care of the needs of others.  I am so grateful for this special season.  When hearts are soften and turn to those we care about.  When forgiveness seems more easy to do.  When we turn to others needs instead of our own.  I only wish to carry this feeling into the New Year.

We don't have our tree up yet.  That is the only thing about having a wood stove that I don't care for.  It dries out the tree quickly. But I am most grateful for the wonderful heat it puts out!  And to me it just doesn't seem like Christmas until I have our tree up.  We will get to do that this week. 

I pray that each of us will remember why we celebrate Christmas and go the extra mile in preparing a soft bed for Him to lay in.

6 comments:

Matt & Corrine said...

You look really pretty in the photo, Amber.

Amber said...

Thank you Corrine! How have you been?

Anonymous said...

You're header is great. Have fun decorating your Christmas tree and filling the manager. We are looking forward to having you home soon.
Love,
Mom

The Kelly Variety said...

I can't put hay in mine either. Not because of the service part, but because of the mess part! By-the-way your singing was awesome, even if I have to say so myself!

Anonymous said...

Ilove that one mom!! and all of them!! you did great!!! Love you soo much!!!!

Love,
Raelene

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Picture of you to!
Your Page looks Awesome! Hope things are well for you All!
Love Your Friends!